Translate

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Clayton Street Kitchen

Some days only mince and dumplings will do.  On such a day I chose to visit the Clayton Street Kitchen - it was a last minute decision as my first choice was closed but it was not a bad decision.  There are two doors, I entered by the one partially blocked by the chill counter and came face to face with rather nice-looking caramel shortbread, tiffin and other delights but I was not swayed, only mince and dumplings would do.
With hindsight I should have picked up on the clues that they were about to close, instead I settled down at a table where I could view the passers by and took in the interior decor.  Red quarry tiled floor (wish I had one), light, nice tables a sensible distance apart, selection of magazines to read, a smaller place than I had imagined, music slightly loud but as I was on my own and not planning to hold a conversation (even with myself) it was OK.
Then the food arrived good and hot and accompanied by a lovely strong cup of tea.  Then the waitress began pulling in the chalk boards from the street and I began to feel a bit awkward.  The staff were really kind and said there was no rush as they were around till much later.  That said I did have to eat up and go, just to get back to work on time so I don't think I outstayed by welcome.  Tiffin did look good too...

No comments:

Post a Comment