Translate

Saturday 18 June 2011

Freudz, The Northern Guild of Psychotherapy, Jesmond

I wonder what the great Sigmund would have made of a cafe that advertised itself as an area's best kept secret?  Mmm - don't overanalyse things as I was once told.  That said, it was slightly daunting to cross the porticoed threshold of the Northern Guild of Psychotherapy and enter Freudz (why not Jungz or Rogerz, I wonder?  Maybe they plan to open a burger bar.).  In the event, Freudz turned out to be very reasonably priced (pot of tea for two £2, giving two good cups each, tasty scone and just enough butter.  I'm deducting marks because the butter was rock hard and couldn't be spread at once.)
The decor was subdued, greys, blacks, whites but the room itself oozed class.  Like Lisa's coffee shop some weeks ago, I could imagine myself in someone's home.  Only Freudz would be the doctor's home, waiting room downstairs, consulting rooms upstairs.  Like all waiting rooms it was icily quiet.  I gazed at the other coffee drinkers wondering what was wrong with them.  The guy with the beard - a psychotherapist himself perhaps?  Maybe we were all sane - I didn't see anyone wiping the door handles and there was no screams off.  So, it's definitely one to experience and they have a full programme of activities and courses for those so inclined, and the price is right.  Like Willi's, the local parking regulations could lead to a nervous collapse, but if you're passing, you could do a lot worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment