Translate

Wednesday 1 June 2011

Jasmine Bakery House, Charlotte Square

When I arrange to meet a certain friend for coffee or any other social event you can guarantee a disaster.  Event is cancelled, we fail to meet up as planned, one of us gets a parking ticket, the list goes on.  I nearly rang her today and suggested we meet 11am at the Jasmine Bakery House.  Just as well I didn't as it opens at 12 noon.  So, another disaster averted - hurrah!

JBH is tucked away behind Blackfriars, not far from Stowell Street,  handy for Westgate Road, and conveniently placed for the charity shops of Clayton Street (which was where I headed to kill time until it opened).  It has a cheerful pink exterior and an interesting-looking oriental menu.

Stepping inside I felt suddenly unsure, as if I had stepped into a world where the rules were different.  Could I just have tea?  Was it OK to be here?  Resounding yes to both - the young and friendly staff were more than helpful.  I ordered tea and then pondered over the selection of buns displayed by the counter.  Not your usual buns these, spring onion bun, sausage bun, satay bun and various sweet buns too.  I chose a sausage bun and a coconut tart.  Both I suspect were homemade and both delicious.  The sausage bun was an ordinary sausage encased in a type of bread that has nothing to do with cardboard burger buns - soft and tasty and with a honey glaze.  So nice I wanted to taste all the rest!

Then the regular clientele came in and began to show me how it should be done.  A girl picked out three or four buns or various types for a takeaway.  Young couples arrived and ordered main meals - the cutlery brought to table was chopsticks and a soup spoon (not sure I'm brave enough for that yet).

The Jasmine Bakery House:  clean, basic, friendly and home of The Bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment