Translate

Thursday 24 May 2012

Lemon Jelli, Courtenay Street, Newton Abbot

We've been watching as the old Courtenay Arms has gradually morphed into Lemon Jelli, and at last it is open for business, and as I had some time to kill too good an opportunity to waste!

In I went, and I have to say the layout is very similar to the old Courtenay where many a mis-spent youth was had.  The atmosphere is quite different however.  There is a French vibe going on, with posters, plaques etc around the walls.  There is wooden flooring and the tables aren't crowding in on each other, making it a good place to meet and chat.  Even a sofa-phobe like me would be tempted by the gorgeously upholstered example in the window, and the bench that I sat on was upholstered in a lovely striped fabric.

I ordered tea and a cookie (£1.80, just enough to pay) and felt quite at home.  There's a menu of snacks displayed in an avante garde manilla folder with treasury tag, and an evening menu is promised.

The place in the Market Hall remains open apparently, this town should be big enough for both the Lemon Jellis

No comments:

Post a Comment