Translate

Tuesday 13 November 2012

Ciao Ciao, Milburngate, Durham

This one came highly recommended, not least for the sell-off bread, so during my Sunday afternoon mooch round Durham I thought I'd give it a try.

I'd passed Ciao Ciao before but assumed it was a bakery and takeaway, however on closer inspection there are tables with bar stool seating inside.  I have to report that the seat I sat on had a very ripped cushion and as I was wearing an unsuitable dress it wasn't easy to get on and off.  That said, you can people-watch to your heart's content through the big corner windows!

I ordered a coffee, which was a standard latte in a no-frills cardboard cup.  I bought cakes to take away and the macaroons (almond, pistachio) were wonderful.  There were baklava and other delights, but I have baklava plans for somewhere in Newcastle, and I wouldn't have wanted to miss the macaroons anyway.

I did buy some reduced price bread as this week's treat for home.  Foccacio.  Olives involved I think.  Very enjoyable toasted.

The staff member was a cheerful, efficient and friendly girl who,  in the few minutes I was there, dealt with customers from all over the world with unremitting interest and politeness.

Go for the cake, go for the bread, but if you're planning on eating in - wear jeans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment