Translate

Sunday 23 January 2011

The Sandwich Box Cafe, Walker

Little bit of serendipity (I think!) in this visit.  I had planned to go elsewhere but life intervened and I really thought I wouldn't be able to go anywhere this week.  Then I found myself in Scrogg Road...and there was the cafe. 

Didn't get off to a very good start as I nearly knocked someone over then I open the door.  You have to queue in the doorway to be served, basically.  I think they could improve the layout there a little.  Inside it was wooden floors and pine tables and chairs.   Nice and clean.  My first instinct was to go for a cheese savoury sandwich and a cup of tea.  Then I spotted the coffee and cake for £1.80 deal, and as I'm on a bit of an economy drive thought I would go for that.  The chocolate cake was obviously bought in but that didn't detract from its deliciousness - nice and moist, loads of icing.  The coffee was too strong for my taste (it usually is) and there was no sugar on the table, you have to state how much you want when ordering and they put it in for you.I have to confess I didn't understand the waitress when she said this.  Not often I can't understand a Geordie these days, but she was a bit too staccato for my ears.

There was only myself and one other person eating in, all the rest were takeaways, but the staff seem to have a good local following which is always a good recommendation.  Would I go back?  Yes, if I was in the area I would know it was clean the food good, but I think it would be cheese savoury and a cup of tea for me next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment