Translate

Friday 7 January 2011

So many cafes, so little time

It's a few years now since a friend and I made it our New Year's resolution to eat our way down Ocean Road in South Shields.  It made for great curries and a resolution we actually kept!  So this year I decided to drink my way round Newcastle upon Tyne.  I'm guessing a lot of people do this on a regular basis ;-) but in keeping with the family's teetotal roots, all that will pass my lips is tea and (hopefully) the odd slice of cake.

I've got a few ideas of places I want to visit but basically I'm aiming for places new to me and in slightly out of the way locations. So ignoring suggestions from well-meaning friends that I do something worthy like learning to swim instead, I'll be diving into cafe society.  But what makes a good cafe experience?  A clear space between the tables, interesting decor (I'm remembering a parrot lampstand I once saw), price of course is important, plus value - a pot of strong tea and a wedge of homemade cake is the best. Oh, and the staff, polite and friendly, but not too friendly please!
So,  I'm looking for a clean, characterful, original decor, reasonably priced, welcoming establishment that serves strong tea and has a wide selection of cake.

That said, I started off at Morrisons in West Denton.  Breaking myself in gently as I had been there before.  It's clean and corporate but you have a choice or sitting at a table or on easy chairs.  Being old school I prefer to sit up properly when I'm eating. There's plenty of plate glass so you can see the world go by.  The tables are placed at a sensible distance so you don't feel you're eavesdropping.  Cakes good, tea as strong as you like it because you get a pot, prices very competative.  I shall be back, but who knows where next week will take me...

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! I always seem to go to the same place every time and this has spurred me onto trying new, great things! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete