Translate

Sunday 27 March 2011

The Urban Coffee House, Brentwood Avenue, Jesmond

This blog was born of a spirit of adventure, let no one tell you otherwise!  Today's visit illustrates this.  I'd been to the Mixer market (part of the Jesmond Community festival) at the British Legion, bought nothing and was strolling back down Thornleigh Road wondering if I could make Starbucks my destination of the week when I spotted the signpost to Brentwood Avenue Shops.  I was off into uncharted territory - not quite hacking through impenetrable jungle although I did have to negotiate an overgrown shrub as one stage - but certainly an area of Newcastle that I hadn't visited before.  And behold!  on the corner The Urban Coffee House - never heard of it, not on my list, but before I knew it I was inside ordering a rocky road slice and an americano.

Braver souls than I were sitting at the tables outside, but I opted for the window seating - armchairs round small tables that appeared to have been recycled from something that housed cable (bobbins?  dunno, word not in my vocabulary).  There was more seating behind the counter.  Nice smiley staff, upbeat latiny music, all the decor looked clean and recently done out.  On the walls were sketches for the interior of the cafe.  On the toilet walls were prints of well known people from the world of popular entertainment.  One might have been Jimi Hendrix.

The rocky road slice was sweet and gooey.  I suspect the coffee was stronger than I like but as I am nursing a cold I couldn't really taste it  I couldn't see the opening hours, but this cafe is one to linger at during the day or early evening to watch Jesmond pass you by on its way to the metro or Osborne Road

No comments:

Post a Comment