Translate

Tuesday 19 April 2011

Jack Sprats, Chillingham Road

This place has a nice community feel to it - advertising activities over Easter etc etc.  It's quietly tucked away but even on a Monday there were several people in.

Ordering proved a little difficult.  Tea?  Which tea?  Milk?  Which milk?  Cake?  Gluten free?  Suitable for vegetarians?  Suitable for vegans?  Oh, blow it, let's just have a cup of Tetleys and a caramel slice!  I can thoroughly recommned the caramel slice.  There were tiny Easter cup cakes on sale for 50p as well, but I restrained myself.

The furnishing and decor is as I have come to expect from this type of cafe.  Wooden floors, old dining room tables and chairs, old three piece suites with throws.  Art work on the walls (here it was for sale).  I checked out the magazine selection and found it limited to some elderly editions of The Crack together with veggie/healthy lifestyle mags of various ages.  The music was different though.  Someone's iPod selection perhaps?  In half an hour we had The Beatles, latin, classical and more pop.  As someone at another table said, it was worth coming to see what was played next.

So would I come again?  If I lived nearby, definitely, as it has a good local feel and the staff are very friendly and nice.  Would I go out of my way?  Probably not wise - someone as indecisive as me could still be deciding on milk at closing time.

No comments:

Post a Comment