Translate

Thursday 26 May 2011

The Basement Coffee House, Carliol Square

I think this is the cafe that started this whole idea.  I walked past it one day, thought about trying it, and then thought hey, I wonder how many cafes there are in Newcastle, enough for a different one each week, maybe?  I'm on course to prove that there are.  

So, down in the Basement it was actually rather nice.  There was a pool table and table football which made me think they were aiming a a rather younger age group than me.  There were sofas, proper tables, a kids area, a tiny stage in one corner.  The music was a tad loud for me, but that's nit picking when you can eat a wonderful chocolate fudge cake (with cream, natch) and tea for a very reasonable price.  I guess this is another of the 'avoid the feeding frenzy' venues - just near enough to town to be convenient, just far enough away not to be crowded. 

It seems the whole thing converts into a church on Sunday morning, but during the week let me assure you that the devil does not have all the best cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment