Translate

Sunday 15 May 2011

The Clock Tower cafe, Hoults Yard, Walker Road





This is just an extra I'm slotting in!  Went to this lovely venue as part of The Late Shows and even took some photos!  Don't hold your breath, but I will upload them some day.  Anyway, The Late Shows are always fun and I'd never been to Hoults Yard before and I needed tea after watching a selection of old cine films (did I see an ancestor throw themself in front of a trolley bus in South Shields c1951?  Surely not) and there was the cafe!








What a setting, I imagine generations of workers trudging up the cobbled bank to the clock tower to clock in or whatever under the foreman's watchful eye.  Now you can get a decent mug of tea and a truly scrumptious scone for the princely sum of £1.55!  I sat on a high stool near the juke box - there were tables and sofas available too.  It was all brickwork, warm tiling, stone arches.  A little treasure and open every weekday from 8am to 3.30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment