Translate

Tuesday 28 June 2011

The Blue Bunny, St Marys Place

On one of the hottest days of the year Newcastle cafe society was blooming.  I spotted people sitting at pavement tables at many of my previous venues, all chatting, looking happy, basking in the sun.  This was the cafes' moment indeed.  My eye was drawn to the Blue Bunny's blackboard advertising picnic fare and the loan of a rug to picnic on - how enterprising!  I guess you could always huddle under the rug for warmth on cold days as well.  Keen now to make the acquaintance of the generous and imaginative Mr Bunny I hopped down the short but steep flight on stairs to his burrow.  Bunnies with restricted mobility may have a problem with the steps unless there is another tunnel entrance that I missed.
I paused at the entrance: 'oh my tail and whiskers!' I thought, 'Mr Bunny's burrow is only for trendy bunnies, I think I hear the sound of hip hop music on the gramophone.  Perhaps he will turn me away!'. 
I need not have worried.  Mr Bunny is a gracious host and his employees have impeccable customer service skills.  I was welcomed in a down-to-earth, practical way that was not gushing and didn't make you want to puke at the insincerity of it all.
I ordered tea and a cheese, ham and marmite sandwich.  The tea was served in a vintage Andrew and Fergie mug c1986 (Sarah Ferguson, not THAT Fergie) which made me smile - royal marriages always start out so well, don't they?  And the sandwich was wonderful and plenty of it.
Decor?  Mismatched tables and chairs as we have come to expect.  Didn't spot a sofa which is a definite plus for me.  Witty little touches like the crisps stored in an antique-looking globe that had been a drinks cabinet and the electric organ used as a leaflet stand, and the lampshades fixed upside down as uplighters.
So, I liked it, maybe that's because I still want to think I'm young and trendy, but even the most boring will appreciate the quality and value of the food.  Just don't try the steps too soon after the hip replacement...

No comments:

Post a Comment