Translate

Tuesday 5 July 2011

Sky Apple Cafe, Heaton Road

This is one place that I've meant to visit for literally years, but would never have got round to had I not set myself this quest.  Got there fine, parked easily (and for free!) on the roadside and then paused at the cafe door.  What to order?  The menu was full of delights such as nachos and falafels and I was in a savoury kind of mood...then I saw the magic words Cream Tea.  So in I went.  Should I sit down and wait to order, or go to the counter?  I went to the counter which turned out to be the right move and my order was taken speedily and in a friendly manner.
The cafe was quite busy when I arrived, unusual for establishments midweek (or so I observe) so reassuring that people in Heaton can still afford to eat out.  The Sky Apple surroundings feature the mismatched tables and chairs, a truly lovely crystal chandelier and sky blue walls and ceiling with beautiful puffy white clouds sailing by.  Truly a place for blue sky thinking, if we're still doing that.  Everything must be freshly prepared and there was a little wait for food.  The food coming out for other tables looked very yummy and when my cream tea arrived I have to say it was yummy too.  Naturally as a Devonian I put the cream on the scone first and then the jam.  All other ways are heresy I tell you!  I have also to report that the Sky Apple menu listed butter when the cream tea which  is utter sacrilege - fortunately the butter did not reach my table so I had no reason to be scandalised.
So, what do I really think?  I wish I'd had more time to spend at Sky Apple instead of just doing a quick raid and then been able to follow it up with a walk in Heaton Park.  All the more reason to go again and try the falafels ;-)
btw, do visit their website http://www.skyapple.co.uk/.  there's a fab sounding recipe for butternut squash schnitzel on Andy's blog

No comments:

Post a Comment