Translate

Tuesday 12 July 2011

Chelsea Dock, Scotswood Road

There seem to be several schools of thought when it comes to cafe design and furnishing.  On my travels this yearI have observed The Corporate (whatever town you are in our cafes will look exactly the same);  The Homely (clean, pleasant, functional);  The Quirky (let's mismatch the furniture and crockery and visit the local flea market for some decor).  And then there is Chelsea Dock, unique among the cafes I have visited (ever), proudly designed and almost opulent in its furnishings.  We are talking real leather upholstery, retro tiling that is really retro, colour changing lighting round the bar, carefully researched photos adorning the walls. From the ceiling lights, portraits of Marilyn Monro and Audrey Hepburn look down on beautiful crockery and matching everything.

It was perfect - until I walked in.  I had chosen to visit on the day Newcastle experienced its monsoon season and staggered through the door literally dripping wet.  It's the ultimate test of customer service, really. How will you react when a soggy customer drips all over your best decor, threatens to ruin your ambience.  I am pleased to report that Chelsea Dock came up trumps.  I got a towel to dry my hair to go with my latte and carrot cake, and a friendly, chatty welcome.  You won't get that in the corporate coffee houses.

Half an hour later, sun was out, the pavements steaming, and I was returning to the car and resolving to return to Chelsea Dock one day soon to try the bacon sarnies, maybe wearing a frock or something smart enough to be worthy of those leather seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment