Translate

Thursday 8 March 2012

Bede's Bakehouse, Sunderland

It's not every day you have tea at a proposed world heritage site.  I'd arrived early and had to wait for St Peters church to open. That gave me time to read the display boards and trace the outline of the ancient buildings and see the stone laid by the Duke of Edinburgh.
Once inside, the small group of worshipper asked hopefully if I intended to join them.  I made straight for the cafe and ordered tea and a flapjack.  I enjoyed it sitting in the hexagonal, modern chapter house.  It was lovely and light and bright.  A nice mixture of small tables and long refectory-style ones, paintings and souvenirs on sale.  The whole menu sounded good, you can even go for afternoon tea.  Then I spotted the opening times!  Bedes Bakehouse does not open till 10.30am, yet I had wandered in at 10am and been served without so much as a murmur.  So, full marks for customer service, and for the tea.  I shall return during normal opening times!

No comments:

Post a Comment