Translate

Thursday 20 December 2012

Northside Diner at Fenwicks, Newcastle upon Tyne

I spotted this one earlier in the year on my walk through Fenwicks but it took Christmas and two friends who like all things American and 1950s to make a visit happen.  Here's how it went.

After a little local difficulty with the lift (I was pressing the staff-only button) we finally made it to the 3rd floor and negotiated our way past racks of oh-so-cute children's wear to the Diner.  Ignoring the 'please wait to be seated' notice, my pals spotted a free booth and in no time we were sitting on red and white bench seats round a table.  The semi-circular seats opposite looked equally comfy (next time!).  One of the cheerful staff soon caught up with us and brought menus. 

The menu told of hot dogs, burgers, nachos as well as apple pie, waffles and milkshakes, chocolate and coffee, oh and tea as a sop to the Brits.  After much debate I chose apple pie and hot chocolate while my friends chose chocolate milkshakes and waffles.

The above were served quickly and efficiently by yet more cheerful staff - and so young! - and I have to report everything we ordered was good.  The hot choc came with whipped cream and marshmallows, the apple pie with cream and icecream.  I am reliably informed that the milkshakes were everything a good old fashioned milkshake should be and extremely chocolatey.  The waffles had to be shared out as the portion sizes were very generous.

Going back?  For the nachos, definitely, and I hope I don't have to wait until next Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment