Translate

Monday 24 December 2012

The Nest at Magpies, Wolborough Street, Newton Abbot

Christmas is many things to many people.  It's many things to me, but family, friends and traditions are a large part of it.  So, after carols by candlelight yesterday, nothing was nicer than today to be shopping in the market for fresh fruit and veg, cream, scones, mincepies.  Then to bump into a friend you haven't seen for ages and chat in the rain.  Then to head for a pre-arranged meeting with my oldest friend (she'll kill me!) and for us to head to the Nest for coffee.  At one time we met every week there but now it's just when I'm visiting.  It's reassuringly the same.  Plenty of space, the same lovely ceramic Christmas trees on the tables, the outrageous parrot standard lamp in the corner.  The nice coffee.  Were the cheese scones slightly smaller?  Doesn't matter - The Nest is a tradition!

We sat for an hour as we used to do and chatted.  The world has changed in so many ways, we need the reassurance of familiar things.  Then we got up to go.  I would have put my coat on and been away, but my good friend headed for the counter - we hadn't paid!  That's want friends are for - keeping you right, not paying for everything, that is!

So, that's it, I'm happy - and a merry Christmas to one and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment