Translate

Wednesday 9 February 2011

Mark Toney's, Grainger Street

Wasn't too sure where to head for this week so decided to wander the town centre and see what turned up.  And what turned up in the time available was Grainger Street.  I've been in Kaffecinos loads of times so couldn't credibly use that one (nice though it is), which left me heading across the road to Mark Toneys.  I have to say I was expecting functional, possibly a little down at heel, but it was none of these.  It was more like a slightly over the top granny's lounge.  A bit chintzy, plenty of artificial flowers, 60s/70s music going.  NO sofas - imagine that!  everywhere has sofas now!  But Mark Toneys has escaped the madness and you have to sit up at the table and eat properly just the way I like it.
I ordered tea and a cheese scone (two lots of butter - yay!) and settled down in a corner behind the artificial flowers where I could admire the dark wood, ceramic tiles and carpeted floor unobserved.  The menu looked good too and the place is open till 8pm, so if you're in town after 5 and all that this may be the place to head.
There are several seating options:  introverts like me can head past the counter, down a couple of steps to rows of tables at the back, leaving the raised platform with its brass rails opposite the counter to the extroverts.  Not sure?  then settle for the tables alongside the counter.  Deranged?  then you can choose to carry your food down a scary flight of stairs to the windowless basement where you can enjoy the claustrophobia and watch everyone coming in and out of the toilets.  There's no waitress service downstairs according to  a notice on the counter - I didn't mention the waitress service?  I didn't get it, maybe it's for full meals only or for the aged and infirm.
What else?  Teatime specials!  I didn't notice that until it was too late or I might have opted for the buy a large coffee, get a free cake routine.  Loyalty cards!  Advertised, but again I wasn't offered.  All day breakfasts!  I could have done with one of those.  You know what?  I think I'm going to have to...

No comments:

Post a Comment