Translate

Tuesday 6 September 2011

Eve's Cafe, Station Road, Walker

A teaching assistant friend once rang me from down south to say the children were enjoying a series set in the north east.  Kevin Whatley was in it, and so were lots of pigeons.  But what exactly was a stottie?  If only I had known then what I know now, that Eve has the perfect example.  I had a lovely fresh sausage stottie with brown sauce and a mug of tea for a great price (£1.80 the stottie, 50p the tea - 50p!!).
The cafe (I think) is a portakabin now settled on the edge of light industrial units.  It now boasts decking and a picnic table outside.  Inside is fixed seating at tables and some stool seating on one side.  A bright chalkboard advertises the menu and specials.  The back third of the space is the kitchen so you can see all that goes on.  There were newspapers available and bold background music. 
OK, it's not the Ritz, but it is clean, friendly and accessible.  And even if they do stotties at the Rtiz (and I bet they don't) they won't be as good as our Eve's

No comments:

Post a Comment