Translate

Sunday 11 September 2011

Turner Prize cafe@Newcastle Mela, Exhibition Park

Where were you ten years ago today?  Everybody knows, everybody's talking about it.  I remember vividly where I  was physically, and emotionally.  Just coming to terms with grief myself, this seemed just overwhelming - I didn't sleep for days.  So much has changed in this last ten years, yet are we radically different in our attitudes?  Are we fighting our prejudices?  Have we learnt anything?  You have to respect the bravery of ordinary people in extraordinary times. 9/11 was a turning point but where have we turned to?

I did my share of remembering and then breezed along to the Mela (later this year than usual due to the timing of Ramadan I was told).  It's always good.  First I trawled the clothes and jewellery - two tops and a dress this year as well as a handbag for a Christmas present for a friend.  Then I headed for the food - veggie mix up involving chickpea chaat, veg samosa, salad, onion bhaji and a lovely sweet sponge ball name of which escapes me.  I went back for some jelabi I'd never tried it before - beautifully sweet.

Then I wandered over to the Turner Prize cafe for my first freebie cup of tea of the entire blog!  There was no catch, just a chance view the finalists' work on iPad and in books and discuss with a nice lady who obviously knew what she was talking about, guessed I didn't,but didn't seem to mind.

The Turner Prize exhibition will be on at the Baltic from 21st October, there are four finalists, one of whom paints in the stuff my brother used to use for his Airfix models.  I came away quite enthused!  All in all, a good afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment