Translate

Monday 21 November 2011

The Butterfly Cabinet, Heaton Road

I've never intended that this blog be about me, it's all about the places I visit, but today due to the grumbling of the general public, tardiness of public transport and general Mondayness (life as an assassin isn't all it's cracked up to be, you know) somehow it had to be The Butterfly Cabinet.  Must be the thought of nailing creatures to boards that did it.  Even the presence of an unvisited fish and chip cafe just down the road couldn't sway me (maybe next week...).

And do you know, as I found a parking space right outside I knew that this was the visit to turn the day round.  Yes, free parking right outside, plenty of seating inside - and what an inside!  Glorious ceiling and chandeliers, mismatched tables and chairs as we would expect, wooden floors and a fab collection of bits and pieces.  I spotted a display case of butterflies (naturally), one of tobacco pipes, old scales, coffee grinder, telephone, oven, fireplace, shelves, confectioners display case, vintage packaging and ephemera.  Did any of this come from Chic Antique at Longbenton, I wondered?  So what with the slightly alternative background music we are talking about an independent, hippyish establishment.  As if the Tiny Tea Tent of blessed memory had landed in Heaton Road and taken root.  You could get to like it, and people do as several customers were obviously regulars and were greeted and treated in a happy friendly way.

Now food.  I had a latte that was just warm and a piece of chocolate fudge cake that more than made up for the grumbling general public encountered earlier.  The couple that came in after me were offered menus, so I guess there is an extensive range of food available.  There is also a quiz night and an acoustic night so plenty to fill up the social calendar.

Yes I liked it, yes I would go back but if I'm honest, can we lose the cabinets of dead butterflies?  If the place is world famous now, surely we don't need them.

No comments:

Post a Comment