Translate

Wednesday 16 November 2011

Moorside Community Primary School Community Cafe

I doubt I would have found this one at all if I hadn't been working in the building and it hadn't been pointed out to me by colleagues who work there regularly.  There doesn't appear to be any advertising off school premises and you have to walk across the school reception area to get to it - not everyone may be comfortable with that - yet it appears to be open to the public and there's quite a range of very reasonably priced snacks available.

The cafe area is brightly lit and decorated with displays of the children's work (I think it doubles as a breakfast club before the school day starts).  There are plenty of tables and chairs, very close together, all new beech-effect tables and plain but comfy black chairs.  No sofas is definitely a bonus for me! 

I ordered a cheese toastie with salad - it was freshly made and the salad of lettuce, tomato, sweet peppers and sweetcorn was fresh and crisp.  Then I fell off the wagon (was I ever on it?) and had a butterfly cake with lashings of buttercream icing and a cup of tea.  It came in at under £3 so that makes it probably the best value I've had so far.  Everyone else eating there appeared to be staff, the teachers seemed to be taking theirs back to the staffroom.  Someone had a mighty slice of flapjack which will make a second visit inevitable for me next time I am working that way.

It seems that the schoolchildren are involved in the running of the cafe and on that basis I'd say the next generation of Newcastle cafes is in safe hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment