Translate

Wednesday 19 June 2013

Valley Gardens tearoom, Saltburn

Yes, I've been on tour today, and what with railways, sun and cakes a day out feels like a month's holiday!  I have to confess that on my previous visit to Saltburn I wasn't over-impressed (I think we arrived late and it was closed).  Today it was vibrant - queues for fish and chips, yarn bombed pier, a better shopping experience than I remember, and the Valley Gardens.  We certainly didn't venture down into those the last visit.

After a little local difficulty (signposting isn't all it should be), I managed to negotiate the steep, unmade paths to the valley floor.  Lots of play equipment for the kids - I was particularly impressed with the miniature watermill, most educational!  And then a few more false starts and dead ends (and a chain link bridge!) until I finally made it to the tearoom.

The tables were set out in a pleasant grassy area, and I honestly only intended to have an icecream - until I spotted the Victoria sponge.  When the book of Victoria sponges comes to be written, this will feature highly.  Homemade, of course, thick layer of jam in the middle, thick layer of buttercream icing on top.  The spaniel from the neighbouring table eyed the cake longingly but he didn't get a look in.  The British may be a nation of animal lovers, but this Brit ain't sharing any cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment