Translate

Thursday 23 February 2012

Cafe at Debenhams, Eldon Square shopping centre

I've always liked Debenhams and always associate their cafes with nice views - probably none better than from the old Exeter shop.  I wonder how John Lewis will place their cafe when they open?
The Newcastle branch has a third floor cafe where you have nice rooftop views and it's all very pleasant.  On the ground floor is the cafe at Debenhams.  It's just inside the door opposite The Gate and seems to be squatting in a corner of Menswear.  It's ideally placed if you are just dashing in and out of town as I was, and just the spot for a bit of people watching.
There are sofas, comfy chairs and proper tables and chairs for the enlightened, tiled floor, unusual canvasses of local landmarks on the walls, friendly staff.   I may be getting picky in my old age, but the cakes did seems a teeny tiny bit pricey, I will go compare and report my findings.
And there's the music.  In confined spaces music can be intrusive, but in a larger area, like the ground floor of Debs it actually seemed OK, like a sound wall that blocked out Menswear and let you focus on the cafe.

No comments:

Post a Comment