Translate

Tuesday 14 February 2012

Cafe Yum Yum, Blackhall Colliery

Surprises are always nice, and on this day (roses, chocs etc being off the agenda) a new cafe to visit was great!  I'd done the Hospice charity shop in Blackhall - always worth a visit - and was going to buy a sandwich and cake and drive down to the rocks to eat them when I noticed Cafe Yum Yum to one side of the Hardwick Hotel.  I don't go to Blackhall often, but I couldn't recall seeing it before and so in I went.

And what did I find but a small, newly redecorated space (neutral colours), a couple of round dining tables with tablecloths!, a large pine table and some diner-style seating.  There was a sofa tucked away I suspect for the benefit of those waiting for takeaway orders.  A notice exhorted us to keep calm and eat cake.  That said I ordered a cheese savoury sandwich with salad and a cup of tea.

The teapot gave two good cups of tea and I was offered a top up if I wanted it (that's a first).  And the sandwich - well to my relief a torpedo turned out to be a soft bread roll and it came with oodles of cheese savoury and oodles of salad and tortilla chips.  Did I enjoy?  Yes.  Was I stuffed?  Yes!

Overall impression?  Nicely decorated, friendly staff, good food reasonably priced, a nice little find on the Durham coast I'd say.

3 comments:

  1. Well, Grace...Thankyou so much for your kind comments on "Cafe Yum Yum!", and please call again soon. Thanks again from all the staff at Cafe Yum Yum! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas Cafe Yum Yum! I was in Blackhall again today but had no time to visit, but your Jubilee decs looked very nice from the outside! It also must be said that Craggs Bakery do a sublime raspberry and passion fruit slice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cafe Yum Yum - so good they named it twice apparently and who would I be to argue. On my visit in Feb I had the place to myself, so it was good to see it pleasantly full and catering to all sections of the community, and delivering orders, and serving a smashing chocolate and orange cake. It looks like good customer service is keeping this business thriving - long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete