Translate

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Cafe Bar One, Jesmond Road

The cafes are still coming thick and fast - only the other day I spotted another one on Gosforth High Street.  And earlier in the week, spotted at the traffic lights I made a spur of the moment decision to follow the sign saying Cradlewell shops and ended up in Cafe Bar One.  You can see it from the road, and there is plenty of parking during the day (usual Jesmond parking rules apply, but midday, early afternoon is fine). 

CBO has two highlights for me.  The first is the window seat.  Yes!  A real window seat with a lovely squidgy cushion!  Having spent my middle years grumbling about youngsters putting their feet on metro seats, I didn't feel I could quite curl up as I would have liked, but I managed a kind of half-curl with no part of my feet actually on the cushion and nobody gave me a death-stare so I assume it was OK.  From this vantage point  I could take in my surroundings.  Outside, trees, traffic vehicular and pedestrian.  Inside a mixed bunch of walkers and business people all spoilt for choice by the menu and transfixed by the special offers.  Could be exaggerating here, no one looked particularly transfixed, nevertheless you can get a good deal on a sandwich and coffee.  Light wood flooring and furniture here and fairtrade credentials evident, also allergy awareness, so Hamster and Wombat would be OK for soya milk if ever we visit together.  Friendly staff, goes without saying; also a nice kind of bittersweet music that fitted my mood.

And the second highlight?  The chocolate cake!  Apparently people beat a path to the door to get this, and you should too!  This glorious confection is made by the owner's aunt, apparently.  They should have a portrait of her over the till!  Imagine real chocolate topping, bits of chocolate in the actual cake mixture, a wonderful vanilla buttercream-and-then-some filling,  AND you can have cream or icecream with it, though personally I think it would be sacrilege to mix even another such marvellous taste with this cake.

I think I've said enough.  Better let the cake do the talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment