Translate

Saturday 20 August 2011

Kitsch'n, Acorn Road, Jesmond

I spotted this one a couple of days ago and thought I should give it a go.  I even found a stalwart friend to accompany me.  Said stalwart friend is a little miffed not to have a cuddly nickname like Wombat or Hamster.  'Your own fault,' I said. 'Choose a name now.'  There is no pleasing some people.  My suggestions of Gerbil and Koala were rebuffed and after that it got a bit silly.  Who'd want to be known as Three Toed Sloth?  Actually, you may not think that's too bad once I introduce you to Polyglot.  Yes, you did read right and don't even think of Polly Parrot, that went down really badly.

Now to business!  The cafe seems to be channelling the sort of 50s/60s vibe I've seen in certain icecream parlours locally.  Lots of American posters on walls, vinyl covered bench seating round rectangular tables.  It's just what I remember from my youth.  We heeded the notices that suggested only groups of three or more should used the bench tables and went to sit on the tables opposite.  It's a mixed clientele - groups of students sipping smoothies and construction workers ordering bacon butties to take out or all day breakfasts to eat in.

We decided on coffees and a piece of carrot cake to share.  My latte was very nice and Polyglot (do I have to?) seemed satisfied with an expresso.  As a youngster, however, he was slightly foxed by the sugar which was a a glass dispenser with a spout and not hygenic paper tubes.  It also came in white only.  Ah, those were the days.  The cake was beautifully moist and came adorned with whipping cream and a toffee sauce, making it look extra special.


This is one to pop into if in Jesmond, the menu seems more savoury than sweet but I think the students and construction workers will ensure it pays its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment