Translate

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Tyneside Cinema ground floor coffee shop

I hadn't really planned on the Tyneside for this week's expedition (though it was on the hit list) but circumstances conspired etc etc and so I found myself perched on a barstool overlooking the alleyway munching a cupcake and sipping a latte.  As it was a nice day the outdoor tables were well used and everyone looked very earnest and artistic (roll up cigarettes!).  The cafe, for those who don't know it, is very long and and thin.  there are small tables and barstools along the windows.  Suitably artistic music was played.  I spotted sandwiches and a selection of cakes for sale and you can also buy alcohol as well as soft drinks.  Really the ideal place for people who like their art but don't feel the need to starve for it.

I have to confess I have never looked round the Tyneside, though I have been to a film showing there and was very impressed by the cinema, so I took the opportunity to go upstairs to see what the Tyneside Coffee rooms were like.  Perhaps it was smaller than I had expected, (but then I only stuck my nose round the door) but what with table service and all that it really does hark back to a gentler age.  I didn't have time to do justice to the displays, or take in the old newsreel showing so I will have to go back and do all that.  And, weather permitting the outdoor showing of Grease could be fun too.

No comments:

Post a Comment