Translate

Thursday 6 October 2011

Cafe Royal, Nelson Street

This is Birthday take 2.  Having done the savoury, I felt sweet was called for and also a touch of class so off I trolled to the classiest sounding of them all - Cafe Royal.  The entrance is impressive to say the least - massive carved pillars - what was it before it was a cafe I wondered.  Inside, my eyes took in a frankly quite ordinary-looking scene - tiled floor, beech coloured chairs and tables, newspapers.  The food looked interesting rather than extensive but once I had spotted the caramel slice there was no going back.  Then cames the dilemma.  Do we order here or is it waitress service?  No clue, and the staff at the counter weren't giving anything away.  Slinking off into a corner, I perched on a high stool and surveyed the scene.  Spiral stairs led upstairs to a mezzanine floor and possibly sofas.  There was a downstairs too (dungeons?) and waitresses flitted to and fro.  Eventually another customer came in and ordered at the counter, so that's how it's done!

Ten minutes later, I was seated at a proper table on the ground floor eating my caramel slice which fully lived up to expectations, drinking tea and reading the Journal while relaxing classical music played discreetly in the background.

OK, I was impressed, but - how can I put this - oh you know what I mean.  Maybe at heart I know where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment