Translate

Monday 3 October 2011

Jayz II , Grainger Market

It's the run up or countdown (depending whether the glass is half full or half empty) to my birthday this week.  I've already had one card, two invites for food and a visit from my lovely brother planned.  Really, it's a serial birthday party.  Most people get all their friends in one place and celebrate, I keep mine neatly compartmentalised and end up doing about six different things.  So, today was Birthday Party 1, but where to go?  We did think of  chinese, but couldn't find just the right place, we thought cake, then we thought savoury and by that time were so hungry that cannibalism seemed a distinct possibility.

 Fortunately we were saved by a a chance encounter with Jayz II, where for about the same as you would pay for insubstantial cakes for two in a more (pretentious- is that a word?) establishment, you can get fish and chips with mushy peas and a pot of tea and sausage, beans and chips.  I had the sausages and mighty fine they were too, ditto beans and chips. 

It was a real nostalgia fest.  The kind of meal I would have eaten in the Fuchsia Cafe with my mother in the recent past.  The kind of cafe that just reminded me of my childhood and the original Chicken Cafe in the butter market (long since demolished)  in Newton Abbot where we'd have a cup of tea on market day.

And you know what?  It wasn't even on my hitlist!  I still have more cafes than weeks left in this year!  Birthday Party II here we come...

No comments:

Post a Comment