Translate

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Greggs Moment, Northumberland Street

Greggs seems to be one business that is riding the recession and indeed in hard times where would we be without good old comfort food like sausage rolls, jam doughnuts and so forth?  And now they have gone into the cafe business as well.  I spotted this one maybe a month ago and I am told there is one in the Bridges at Sunderland as well.  Expect them to sweep the country within weeks - seriously!  I can remember when Greggs was unknown outside of the north east and now you can find them in deepest, darkest Basingstoke (but without the stotties).

So did the Greggs cafe experience live up to expectations?  I have to say that it did.  The menu was different from the shop fare but all looked and sounded good.  I chose a chicken and chorizo foccacio which was heated well and quickly, and a coffee choux bun stuffed with cream, and a pot of tea.  That cost me £5.50 - I must have been undercharged - that's outrageous value!  The tea came in a proper pot, with proper milk in a proper jug, and china that my mother would have approved of.  Full marks so far.

The decor seems to be aiming at a retro, granny's house, traditional values kind of vibe.  Downstairs the seating area has small dark wood tables and chairs with some high stools overlooking the street and outdoor tables too.  The walls are half papered with retro wallpaper patterns (think 70s) and old photos of the area hang in gilded frames.  Notice the lampshades featuring black and white Newcastlescapes.  I want one.  There's an upstairs too where the dreaded sofas lurk.  I imagine more retro wallpaper and probably flying ducks and a photo of the Queen Mother over the mantelpiece.  The spacious serving area is all gleaming white tiles and a Welsh dresser.

I know I'll be going back.  I have to try the Brekkles cake (something to do with a yogurt compote), and the individual bar cakes, and the cupcakes, and the vanilla latte, and the breakfast items.  It's definitely Greggs' moment - today the toon, tomorrow the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment