Translate

Thursday 20 October 2011

The Village Tearooms, Whitburn

I've been doing a bit of cat-sitting in Whitburn this week, and as it's been so nice and sunny - yes and freezing cold too - I decided to treat myself to tea and a scone at the Village Tearooms.  They'd been recommended to me years ago but as yet, no visit has been made.  I have to say the cakes etc looked delicious and the locals were out in force to buy, which is always a good sign.  The inside tables looked a bit dark, but the tearooms are fortunate to be in a sheltered corner, making it possible to sit outside in comfort (and a warm coat) even in October.  So it was that Polly Parrot and I sat on a bench, under a parasol munching our cream scones and sipping beautifully strong tea.

There was a sudden rustling on the parasol!  Rain?  No, the sky was clear!  Hail?  Frogs?  Nothing less than masonry from a distinctly lopsided chimney.  I'd recently read an article about a poorly maintained chimney crashing down on a parked car, but sensibly kept this to myself as Polly is a worrier, and was still fretting over the fact that the cafe assistant and handled our scones without glove, tongs or wellies.  But thankfully all was well. The chimney stayed up, the scones stayed down and life in Whitburn continues unhindered.

No comments:

Post a Comment