Translate

Monday 17 October 2011

Newcastle's Famous Happy Chip, Waterloo Street

I'd noticed this place a while back but had it on my list as 'cafe, city quadrant' and its chief attraction at the moment seemed to be tea at 50p a cup.  What would it be like inside?  I decided I should find out this week and make it a Monday lunchtime adventure before my courage failed.  It was only once inside and making my way up the stairs (the whole place seems to be on a mezzanine floor of the City Hotel) that I spotted the noticeboard informing me that this was not just The Happy Chip - no, it was Newcastle's Famous Happy Chip!!

Once upstairs I was obviously in a fish and chip cafe with an extensive menu and special offers for all occasions.   I opted for chips and a large tea which was served by efficient and friendly staff.  Above their heads was a long list of prohibitions (no discount, no credit, no toilets etc etc) leading me to suppose that some of their clientele may be under the influence of more than hunger when they visit.

Another short flight of stairs led me to the seating area.  Old and frankly shabby tables were complimented by newer and very plush dining chairs, the CCTV camera eyed me as I munched my chips and Real Radio filled the air.  Several young people were eating and ordering, so maybe the HC is sacred to the student community.  The chips were fine, the tea was fine, and at £2 I still have 50p to spend from my birthday money.  Another tea perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment