Translate

Monday 5 December 2011

Aurora Deli, corner Westgate Hill and Blandford Square

You know, I liked to think of myself as a model cafe customer - quiet, tidy, solvent, polite, complimentary even.  Today that changed, today I became the awkward customer, the one that tries your patience, the one you could do without last thing on a Monday.  How did I effect this transformation, merely by ordering an all day breakfast in a cafe that was closing in about half an hour!  Honestly, I didn't think!  And they were still advertising it!  And Mrs Aurora, well she just smiled, got out the frying pan and cooked away, she may have thought about belting me round the head with it, but she was professional to the end. 

The establishment she presides over does have a morning feel to it - light and bright, cheerful (and watered) pot plants in the window.  Coloured slatted wooden table mat adorn the square wooden tables and you will find yourself seated on a stacking chair (church hall c1960) that has been customised in one of a variety of finishes (mine was decoupage).  The Christmas decs were up, including a rather fine handmade star - black card and tissue paper giving a stained glass effect.  Other customers (who were leaving!) appeared to be regulars and that is always reassuring.  It all had a clean, bright, zingy feel to it.

And the breakfast?  For £2 I got sausage, beans, tomato, bacon, egg and mushrooms.  Can't grumble at that and it all tasted very good.  Afterwards, I reflected that the cafe where I was eating my breakfast was probably built over the Roman Wall.  I wonder what the average legionary got for breakfast?

And so, another tick on the hit list. Another one to go back to one day - but next time I'll be going early :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment