Translate

Wednesday 28 December 2011

Starbucks opposite Central Station

This is kind of cheating (not what you expect of me I know, but desperate times call for desperate measures) in that I actually visited Starbucks before Christmas but as it was my last full day in Newcastle till after New Year, I'm going to count it as my cafe of the week, and indeed my last cafe of my resolution.

It all came about like this, I was feeling grotty with a bad cold, and then I got more time off over Christmas than had seemed possible at first, and then I realised that I had to do one last cafe, and then not one but two of the hit list were closed on a Friday evening and so I ended up at Starbucks with a friend who I'd promised to meet up with before Christmas.  So it was a last resort, basically, but not without a certain something about it.  I wasn't feeling well at all but well enough to appreciate the latte and the berry scones.  Starbucks is Starbucks the world over after all.  On a grey evening we sat and observed a transitory crowd of fellow coffee drinkers most of whom were heading home for the holidays I guess.  Cases and shopping - the whole atmosphere was a tired but happy end of day, end of journey, start of journey, say goodbye, bitter sweet mixture played out in a cafe waiting for its evening clean and Christmas decorations waiting for twelfth night.

It was a slightly melancholy end to the quest, but I've done it!  Kept my resolution for a whole year!  On New Year's Eve, I'll be announcing the awards, the future of Let's Say Grace and next year's challenge.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment