Translate

Monday 19 December 2011

Cafe 120, Heaton Road

I'd been told this was one to visit for the cakes so, bearing in mind the season, I was dreaming of a slice of Christmas cake smothered in marzipan and royal icing.  It was not to be, however, but once I saw the choice on offer I wasn't worried. 

I should mention that I'm being a brave little soldier this week, going out for tea and cake despite the remnants of a nasty cold (well you do feed as cold, don't you?) and I think this is devotion above and beyond!  So I awarded myself a slice of some kind of tiffin (it began with B but the cold has left me a bit deaf so I didn't get the rest) to be washed down with tea.  The tiffin was a biscuit base, with a chocolate topping and coconut and somehow, despite cold-related numbing of tastebuds, my tongue managed to communicate withh my brain that it was indeed very, very sweet, and nice, and  unlikely to leave room for the pecan and caramel slice I'd also fancied (never let it be said that my cold was hungry).  I must admit to a flicker of disappointment when a mug of tea arrived and not a pot, but it was a Tetley's brew so all was not lost. There's an extensive menu and a takeaway service too, so all tastes catered for.

Now what of my surroundings?  Very swish I have to say!  Dark coloured laminate flooring, walls half tiled in greys the rest painted a very warming shade of red/orange, grey blinds, mirrors, a kind of sculpture of (possibly Indian) musicians.  There were coffee tables and seating in the windows, proper tables and leather covered dining chairs elsewhere.  When I arrived the only customer was a businessman engrossed in his computer, but within a few minutes a younger man and a retired couple (all regulars I would guess) entered as did a lady for a takeaway bagel.  There's plenty of seating - the 'lounge' area was closed during the afternoon but must be available at busy periods.

You know what, I felt at home.  Cafe 120 was smart, but not overpowering and the food looked good but wasn't overpriced.  And as I browsed their magazines, I found details of yet another unvisited cae that may just be next week's destination, only time will tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment