Translate

Sunday 26 August 2012

The Green Room, The Customs House, South Shields

Lest you think that my diet is composed solely of sausage sandwiches and cake, I can assure you that my culinary horizons stretch to Sunday lunch as well, and this Sunday a friend and I ate at the Green Room.  It's a place I'd had in mind for coffee for ages but lunch it was to be.

There are two sitting and we'd booked on the later, and though we were early we were shown to our table straight away.  The decor is calm and neutral, the furnishings quietly comfortable.  It was classy but not so much as to make a humble sausage sandwich eater like me feel uncomfortable.  Indeed I felt very comfortable.  The tables aren't on top of each other so you don't feel like you're eavesdropping on conversations, and the views across the river were great.  I know canned music is not to everyone's taste, but the 'swing' that was playing was actually quite relaxing, someone even sang along for a while.

I ordered lamb, my friend the nut roast, and the meals were served quickly and with a wide variety of well cooked veg.  I'm pleased to report that the dessert menu was excellent and that the raspberry and white chocolate cheesecake and sticky toffee pudding lived up to expectations!   It was all beautifully presented.   The staff were friendly and efficient.  It was a lovely relaxing meal.  No queueing at the carvery, everything brought to you.  I wonder if they do sausage sandwiches during the week...

No comments:

Post a Comment