Translate

Wednesday 8 August 2012

The Wentworth Cafe, Hexham

This is an interesting one indeed!  Situated in a portakabin alongside the main car park in Hexham, by rights it should be a 'greasy spoon', but actually (I reflected on my last visit) it's exactly the kind of place my mother would have loved.  It's clean, reasonably priced, comfortable tables and chairs, and they bring the food to the table!  Nothing like a bit of old fashioned service in my mother's book.  Sadly, the newspapers available weren't up to date the day I visited, but that's just being picky - the cheese scone and the tea were fine.

I was there at a quiet time, no other customers and no intrusive music.  Now I have found over the course of my life that if you sit quietly and unobtrusively, people forget you are there and you get to hear some remarkable conversations and it was true of this visit.  The boys from the cafe and a friend sat in a corner and gossiped (so glad men gossip too) about the eating establishments of Hexham.  It was better than the soaps!  Will so and so ever get another job having walked out of two?  Will his old boss have him back?  Is that really all he was being paid?  And on and on, who said what, who owns what, and some heartfelt but very unPC remarks about Olympic football at Newcastle.  I said cheerio as I left and they sheepishly acknowledge that they had been talking as if no one had been there - what the heck? we all do it.  I dread to think what some of the punters where I work have heard over the years.

So it's another one I can recommend, and it can surely only be a matter of time before it has its own series.

No comments:

Post a Comment